My blog has received an award.
An award! Imagine that.
Well, I wasn’t expecting this, didn’t have time to prepare a speech, order a tux for a walk down the red carpet or anything.
The post informed me I’d been granted the Lobster…er, no, that’s not quite right. Calm down, I told myself. Read the message properly. Be still my trembling hands.
Good heavens! It was the Bieber! What had I done to deserve this? I loathe Justin Bieber’s music. Maybe they meant Bieber was presenting me with the award, an even more disturbing prospect, having the nasty, little perspiring pop singer extending his sweaty hand for me to shake.
I shuddered at the very idea.
Uh…no. Wait. It was the Liebster. That’s what I’d received.
Seriously. The Liebster.
It’s not just any run-of-the-mill award like, say, the Nobel Peace Prize. The Liebster comes with some serious responsibilities. I’ll come back to those.
First, I’d like to acknowledge the Running Farce blog, [http://runningfarce.wordpress.com/] which chose me for this honour. Please take time to visit Running Farce; his blog is, unlike mine, pretty funny and he writes in an offbeat way about running.
Beyond that, I’d like to thank my Mom and my agent and…okay, I’ll stop already.
Like every other blogger before me who’d been the recipient of a Liebster, I tried to find the award’s origins – and failed. The Liebster is shrouded in mystery, wrapped in enigma, an enduring, arcane secret like Stonehenge, the Easter Island statues, or fans of Bieber’s music.
What is known about the Liebster is it goes to blogs with less than 200 followers and, seriously, given that Sub-three is not even two months old yet, I am extremely pleased and grateful for the recognition. Thank you.
Okay, got the serious stuff out of the way. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming….
As I mentioned, you don’t just get a Liebster and put it on your mantle and admire it every night before bed (maybe polishing it just a bit and handling it a bit, and, well, giving it a good-night kiss and gratefully mumbling, “My precious, my precious-s-s-s.”).
No, this award demands that its recipient show what he or she is made of. Here are the arduous tasks a Liebster extracts:
1. Choose 5 up-and-coming blogs with less than 200 followers to award the Liebster to.
2. Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
3. Post the award on your blog. List the bloggers you are giving the award to with links to their sites. Leave comments on their blog so they know about the award.
4. Share 5 random facts about yourself that people don’t know about you.
By now, you’re likely curious about what this award looks like. Here it is:
In quick succession, here are five random facts about me: I have two dogs and a cat; I am vegetarian contemplating becoming vegan; I read voraciously and widely; I love a diverse range of music; I once – and this is true folks – went to several Halloween parties dressed elaborately as an asparagus sandwich and won two prizes for best costume that evening.
Finally, in no particular order, here are the five blogs upon which I’d like to confer the Liebster.
1. Nurse on the Run. Just like the blog title implies, this writer works as nurse by day (and quite often by night too) and runs. And she writes generous blogs on interesting topics with her own perspective. I liked her recent post giving reasons why she enjoys the Boston Marathon when the current fashion has been to snub it. http://www.susanruns.com/
2. Running With It. A blogger trying to go with the flow, in both running and life. http://jillianmcgehee.wordpress.com/
3. See Alli Run. A humorous take on running from a Lululemon addict and shopaholic. Her gear reviews are thorough and well done. http://seeallirun.blogspot.ca/
4. Rage Your Way Thin. Completely hilarious blog from an extremely angry individual. She should be in therapy, but you’ll be the one who needs it after reading her blog. http://www.rageyourwaythin.com/
5. Running/Geb Brown. A running actor. Or is he an acting runner? Anyway…he blogs too. Plus, he’s an impressionist and I hear he does a great impression of an actor running. Okay, I’m definitely going to hell now. Check his blog here: http://gebbrown.com/